Welcome to ViewShare.org
ViewShare is a free, open source platform for generating and customizing views (interactive maps, timelines, facets, tag clouds) that allow users to experience digital collections in new ways. With simple spreadsheets and other structured data types, collections are made more visual, usable and sharable with the ViewShare software.
Participating in ViewShare.org
The following terms apply to your use of ViewShare.org. While only individuals affiliated with organizations may register to use ViewShare to post customized views, members of the general public ("End-Users") may view these customized views.
ViewShare.org is hosted by The Library of Congress ("Library"). Collections and related information ("Content") is provided by ViewShare affiliated organizations ("Organizations") and the Library. Each Organization is responsible for their Content. If you have any questions regarding Content, please contact the relevant Organization directly.
Content found on ViewShare.org may be contributed either by Organizations or the Library itself and may be in the public domain. When publishing or otherwise distributing Content found within ViewShare.org, the End-User has the obligation to determine and satisfy any copyright law or other use restrictions. We recommend End-Users view the relevant Organization's reproduction policies which usually can be found on their website.
If you have any more information about Content you have seen on ViewShare.org or if you are the copyright owner and believe your work has not been properly attributed or has been used without permission, please contact the Organization that posted the relevant content. If you need to contact the Library about content it has provided, please contact us atwith your contact information and a link to the content at issue.
Protecting your personal information and privacy is important to us:
We welcome your participation and comments in the ViewShare Feedback Forum. This Forum is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. You are fully responsible for everything that you post. The content of all comments is released into the public domain unless clearly stated otherwise. The Library of Congress does not control the content posted. Nevertheless, the Library of Congress may monitor any user-generated content as it chooses and reserves the right to remove content for any reason whatever, without consent. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and may result in removed comments. We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user's privilege to post content on ViewShare. Read the Library's Comment and Posting Policy.
Please note that the general public may view your posts in the Feedback Forum, but will not have the ability to comment unless authorized by the Library. The contents of any End-User comments may be considered federal records and if so, are subject to the Library's record management procedures.
The contents of any End-User comments may be considered federal records and if so, are subject to the Library's record management procedures.
Information Collected for Tracking (Cookies)
To provide the best possible experience for our web users, we may collect and store non-personally identifiable information. This information allows us to learn how to improve our web site design. It is never used for commercial marketing purposes.
Linking to ViewShare.org
If you link to the ViewShare.org site, the Library requests that your link be presented in a manner that does not create the impression that ViewShare.org or the Library is making an express or implied endorsement of any good or service provided on your web site, and that the link is presented in a manner that clearly indicates that the user is leaving one site and accessing another.
Access to the ViewShare Web Site
If you are a person with a disability and you have trouble using this site, email us or write to us at the following address:
Library of Congress
Office of Strategic Initiatives
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-1000
Communications made through ViewShare.org shall in no way constitute a legal or official notice or comment by the Library of Congress or any official or employee of the Library for any purpose. You agree that the Library of Congress is not liable for any indirect, special, incidental, consequential or exemplary damages arising from your use of ViewShare.org, any Content appearing on it or any links or content provided through them.
Welcome to ViewShare.org. ViewShare.org is a free, open source platform provided by the Library of Congress ("Library") for generating and customizing views (interactive maps, timelines, facets, tag clouds) that allow users to experience digital collections in new ways. With simple spreadsheets and other structured data types, collections are made more visual, usable and sharable with the ViewShare software.
The following terms apply to your use of ViewShare.org ("Terms"). Only individuals authorized by an affiliated organization may register to use ViewShare ("Affiliated Organizations" or "Organizations"). (The Library and Organizations together constitute the "Parties"; separately the "Party".) You represent your Organization and are responsible for the security of your account and the protection of your password. You may share data you load and views you create with the general public.
We welcome your Organization's participation on ViewShare.org. All of the Library's social media sites, including ViewShare.org, are governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. You are fully responsible for everything that you post.
1. Data. Organization will load or link to information about digital collections ("Data") in the form of spreadsheets or other structured data types for inclusion in ViewShare.org. The Data may include links to digital materials from Organization's collections. The Data may be used to create visual interfaces ("Views") that link back to digital collections at an Organization. No Organization's collections are copied or loaded into ViewShare.org. It is the responsibility of the Organization to determine the copyright status of the data loaded and the collections that are being pointed to. The Data and collections will be viewable on ViewShare.org but will reside on the Organization's websites. The Library has sole discretion whether to include Data or Views in ViewShare.org and may remove Data or Views from ViewShare.org at any time.
2. License. Organization warrants that it has the rights to post Data and link to the Organization's collections. To the extent the Organization's Data are not in the public domain, Organization hereby grants to the Library a royalty-free, worldwide, nonexclusive license to display the Data and Views in ViewShare.org and on any mirrored sites. The Terms do not restrict the right of Organization to display the Data and Views on its own website or use the Data and Views in any way. The Library will have the right to make additional copies of the Data and Views for archival and preservation purposes and for internal use.
In addition and as a condition of participation in ViewShare, Organization hereby grants to other participating ViewShare organizations, a royalty-free, worldwide, nonexclusive license to display the Data and Views found in ViewShare.org on their collection-related websites in order to facilitate access to members of the public only and for no other purpose, including commercial.
In the event Organization wishes to utilize another participating ViewShare organization's content pursuant to the licensing provisions as stated above, Organization understands and agrees that the purpose of such license is to facilitate access to members of the public and agrees not to use such content for commercial or any other purposes.
Any dispute between participating organizations regarding the use of content pursuant to this section shall be resolved between the parties involved.
3. Open Source. The software used on ViewShare.org is open source software and is provided AS-IS. See.
The Library may cancel an Organization's accounts at any time for any reason, including in the event any misleading, illegal, or damaging information is found. Account holders are fully responsible for the information they load or provide.
4. Rights. Except for the license granted in the Terms, as between the parties, all rights, title, and interest in the Data and Views will remain with Organization, subject to any third party rights. Digital copies will not be considered to have a copyright separate and apart from any copyright subsisting in the underlying materials. As between the parties, all rights, title, and interest in ViewShare.org will remain with the Library, and the Library has the sole right and final decision making authority with respect to the design, appearance, functionality, hosting, performance, content, and maintenance of the ViewShare website.
5. Rights and Reproductions Notice. The Library will post a rights and reproductions notice on ViewShare.org relating to the Data and Views .
6. Content Posted on Other Web Sites. The Library has not reviewed, cannot review, and has no control over all of the material, including computer software, made available through the web sites and web pages to which ViewShare.org links, and that link to ViewShare.org. By linking to a non-ViewShare.org web site or webpage, the Library does not represent or imply that it endorses such web site or web page. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Library disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-ViewShare web sites and web pages.
7. General Provisions. Nothing contained in the Terms will create any partnership or joint venture or agency relationship between the Parties. Each Party will exercise reasonable care in its treatment of the property of the other Party. If any part of the Terms is ever ruled to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable by a court or other body of competent jurisdiction, the remainder of the Terms will continue in full force and effect and will be deemed modified to the minimum extent necessary to make it enforceable.
8. Liability. The liability of the Library and its employees and its obligations resulting from any breach by the Library of any of the provisions hereof, or any claim or suit made or brought against any of the said parties, based directly or indirectly upon any act, failure to act, or negligence on the part of any agent or employee of the Library occurring in connection with any activity which is the subject of the Terms, shall be determined under the Federal Tort Claims Act, the Tucker Act or any other applicable Act of Congress.
9. No Official Notice or Comment. Communications made through ViewShare.org will in no way constitute a legal or official notice or comment to or from the Library of Congress or any official or employee of the Library for any purpose.
11. Federal Records. The contents of ViewShare.org may be considered federal records and if so, are subject to the Library's record management procedures.
12. Choice of Law and Venue. The Terms are to be governed for all purposes by, and construed in accordance with federal law, and venue is to lie exclusively in the federal courts of the United States in Washington, DC.